An early Mercedes-Benz 500 SL R129 is a timeless classic. With its 5 liter V8 it is well sought after by the ones who already know. This car comes with a full history file from new. After an easy life in Washington DC it is now offered in Europe with only 36,200 miles. The Arctic White paint and Royal Blue Leather interior still look immaculate today, especially with the original non-option Manhole Cover wheels and hardtop. The gold metal plated grill and trim show the car’s excellence in a subtle way. The blue soft top finishes it off.
Only a month after the Fall of the Berlin Wall this SL came off the production line in Stuttgart, where it was hand built. The car was ordered in the US and delivered in the Washington DC area, where it remained until it was shipped back to Europe by the current American owner in 2022. Import taxes, duties and fees are paid in the Netherlands. The official American export title is included in the sale. The only thing left to do is having the car getting inspected by road-registry authorities like RDW in the Netherlands, or Dekra / TuV in Germany.
The M119 engine was in a league of its own. With 5 liter displacement, double overhead cams and 4 valves per cylinder it offered the best features of German automotive engineering in a V8, just like the rest of the SL model. The Bosch Ke-Jetronic fuel injection system was only offered in the first two production years. The same high-performance engine was also used in the 500E. Although it had another fuel injection system its specs were the same as in the SL. With 326 horsepower and 480 Nm of torque, a little over the Porsche 928 S4 (320 hp / 430 Nm), it was both powerful and impressive. Still it ran smooth like silk. This elegance helped to offer an understated driving experience at the highest level, like no other.
- Garage stored throughout its life
- Paint: original, no dents, very minor scratches. Only the front bumper needs a repaint or just a spot repair to make the car perfect.
- Original spare wheel (Manhole cover 16 inch with original 225-55-R16 Dunlop)
- Original tool set, including original soft top wrench in its sleeve
- Original jack
- Original brochure
- Original manual
- Original dealer booklets for service, warranty, road assistance, Dunlop tyres, airbag system, OEM Radio et cetera.
- Key fob
- Master key
Automatic climate control
Air Conditioning fluid 134a Refit (instead of original R12)
Dual car stereo with remote control
Full history. Stamped service book. Including invoices from 2005 till date (all at Mercedes-Benz specialist in Maryland, close to Washington DC where the car has been delivered from new).
- US Version
- Instrument in Miles
- Tempomat (cruise control)
- Airbags driver + passenger
- Front seats electronic adjustable with memory
- Mirror with memory circuit
- Rear audio system
- Automatic antenna
- Closing system with infrared remote control
- Headlamp cleaning equipment
- All-round WD-Green glass / heated rear window
- Anti-theft/anti-break-in warning system
- Comes with original Key Fob + Master key.
Arctic White (147) + hardtop + darker lower cladding (non-optional)
Royal Blue leather (272A)
Blue soft top (all 8 hydraulic cylinders have been replaced/refurbished)